02 July 2020

Crochet

Around 40 (!) years ago I learned to crochet and I hated it! I already knew how to knit, and was quite proficient, but I really couldn't get the hang of crochet; we were using a tiny hook and very fine crochet cotton to make doilies (I never saw the point of doilies but that's another story).  After a break of several years, I started knitting again properly about 15 years ago, at the same time I started seeing amazing crochet design popping up all over the internet,  and although I adore the colour combinations Lucy at Attic 24 comes up with I wasn't tempted to pick up a hook.

Until now :) I enjoy watching the Fruity Knitting podcast as was intrigued by the blanket Andrea is making by British designer Jane Crowfoot. I love the designs Jane has created and I immediately fell in love with the Arts & Crafts May Morris  Fruit Garden inspired blanket.


 As most of you know I adore the Arts and Crafts Movement and live in an Arts & Crafts style cottage



The design is fairly involved and it will probably take several years to complete! However there is help available and Jane has videos showing each step. So I bought the yarn kit :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC14P3eXzHZwo3TdHtgxLv4A

I mentioned to a quilting friend that I wanted to learn Crochet, and she found an amazing local teacher for us, I contacted Jo at Grace and Cable and we had an online Zoom lesson last week, I need to practice but I think I'm getting the hang of it.  I'm having another lesson on Tuesday, it will be a while until I feel confident to tackle my Blanket Kit but it is fun learning something new.


I bought me this beginners book a few months ago and after a lesson with Jo the pictures made sense!




In the meantime I am knitting, I am really enjoying this modern Fair Isle design by Mary Henderson
Ravelry notes here https://www.ravelry.com/projects/suller/green-lane


I took a gamble changing up the colours but I think they work


One more sleeve to knit and then you join both sleeves to the body to knit the yoke





5 comments:

  1. I’m in love with the crocheted Fruit Garden blanket for some time, but I’m more a knitter than a chrocheter. And even more a quilter... I will nver forget kitting stitchs but I always need to learn crochet stitches when I pick up one of my projects. SO wonderful that you’re taking lessons on how to chrochet now! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane's designs and follow her on Instagram I saw that blanket too and know it is over my skills but I will watch and see if you make it. I do have Jane's pattern for Mystical Lanterns and think to use up left over yarn from some of Lucy 24's blankets that I have made -- I am too much more of a quilting addict and do not spend so much time on my crochet/knitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been taken with some of Jane's designs, too, but they're made of lots of components, with lots of changes of thread, and I know that those sorts of projects don't suit me very well. I shall happily watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like your color combination much better than the yellow version. Nice choices. You have chosen a very intensive pattern for your first project. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new chunky crochet needles and manner of holding it have certainly improved
    the ability to make crochet items. I have several friends that have learned to crochet in the last year.
    Your Fair Isle knitting looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete