20 July 2019

Planning new Projects!

I showed the fabrics I bought for a new quilt in my last post, I am making Cherish by Tales of Cloth it's an English Paper Pieced pattern and destined to be another long term handwork project :)



I have had loads of fun matching fabrics and cutting out the pieces for the first few blocks


I pieced one block and yes I really like it!


I even found the perfect backing and binding fabric on sale


While it is all very lovely buying new fabrics for a project I am conscious of the fact that my scrap baskets are full to bursting. This is just a small section (!)


I am really good at saving all my scraps, I am really bad at using them! After 20+ years of quilting they are in danger of getting out of control! I really admire quilters like Karen who make fabulous scrap quilts all the time.

One of the challenges I set myself this year was to try and use what I have, so when this month's issue of Quiltmania arrived I was thrilled to see at least two quilts that I want to make.  My scraps are a mixture of civil war/antique style fabrics and more modern brighter colours.  I will make this 'Drunken Sailor' with the more muted colours



I have cut out the pieces for the centre block, I will change the pattern slightly and need to do some maths to use my templates as they are a different size from the pattern in the magazine.



 I have always wanted to make a mariners compass block and try a machine pieced drunkards path, I bought some templates years ago but my machine skills were not good enough then.





This will be my focus machine project, another of my goals was to improve my machine skills and after successfully machine piecing the curves on my Coming Home  quilt I think I can attempt these simple curves - we will see!

Once I have finished this, I would like to make another of the quilts in this issue to use my brighter scraps.


This should keep me busy for a while and hopefully improve my machine skills while making a dent in the scrap baskets, although I doubt it, as fabric seems to multiply in my house when I'm not looking!


8 comments:

  1. I was reading your post about scraps and thinking I really need to use mine more - and then LOL I see you link to me!! I need to show how many boxes of scraps I still have that I are hidden under the quilting frame that I haven't used yet :) I love all the blocks your are making - scraps will be used up one day. I actually have an idea going in my mid with the boxes of strings that I have and the signature quilt I plan - all the signatures are here but I haven't started the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cherish quilt looks like it will really be a 'labor of love' quilt. I absolutely love the fabric you have assembled to make it. The backing and binding are just perfect. Just so lovely. . . I need to use up a bunch of my scraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The patterns for the scrappy quilts are both lovely. I'll enjoy watching your journey piecing them. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, you are going to have fun and keep very busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your fabric choices for the 'cherish' quilt, it'll look wonderful! I too am always on the lookout for ways to use up those precious scraps, looks like you have a few great plans too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first project is especially wonderful looking. Great fabrics for it! You have a lot of intriguing projects going on here. Will be great to follow along.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful projects, scrappy quilts are fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some wonderful projects on the go! I’ve been scrolling down the pages of your blog feed and we are or have been working on so many of the same quilts!

    ReplyDelete