07 August 2019

Coming Home

This last week I have been working on catching up with my Coming Home BOM project. I have assembled the centre section and started work on the second house border. Here is a reminder of the full design bySarah Fielke


The centre portion finishes about 52"


We are currently in the process of adding the next row of houses which will add another 10" to each side.


I am really enjoying making these blocks, I have had lots of fun fussy cutting creatures to live in the cottages :)








we have the rest of the houses to finish next month and then it's on to the final border, I am not sure if I will make the final border or not.  When this border is finished the quilt will measure around 72" square, the final size is about 88" if I add the pieced end border.

 I mentioned to a friend that I thought that would make a great size for a play/story quilt for the little ones of visiting friends and family, and she was horrified that I would let children crawl all over it!
 I explained that the colours in this one didn't really go with any of my bedrooms and I really didn't want another large colourful bed quilt that would just sit unused; I thought that children would love to play on it and find the animals. It did make me think however,  I make quilts because I love the whole process of making, I like them to be well used and well loved,  it can be easily washed if dirty. I don't enter shows and don't treat any of my quilts as precious  What do you think? What do you do with your quilts?

10 comments:

  1. I would let kids lay on it and play on it and point out all the different houses too!! I make my quilts to be used and like you say they can be washed. I don't enter shows - some think I am too casual with my quilts after all the work put into them but I make them to be used like you - I just enjoy making them and if when they are given to someone and they want to never use it but just look at it - well that is their choice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a quilt I had made on the foot of my grandson's bed when I visited. It was terribly faded and worn. That made me happy because memories were made using this quilt. I don't make quilts so I can have them I make quilts because I love to make them. Having someone else want them is a bonus. I'd let the kids enjoy this quilt (with shoes off probably).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been working with some fun fabrics. Most of my quilts get used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using my quilts. I sleep under them, take them camping. And just put them in the washing machine when dirty. I love using my quilts, they make me happy. And I can imagine that your quilt will be such fun for children (and maybe for some adults too) to look who lives in the houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you, quilts are made to be used! I really love to see my family using the quilts I made for them, even if that means they get worn. A worn quilt is a loved quilt.I once made a quilt for a work colleague, she paid me for it, and when I handed it over, I said I hoped it would be well used. She said no, it would be hung on the wall, and then put in a memory box. It was hers to do what she wanted with it, but I felt a bit sad about that.My kids and grandkids had their quilts on their bed, used them on long journeys in the car, cuddled with them on the sofa, and made tents out of them. Much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the additional rows with the houses and the appliqué!
    I also love the process of making a quilt. Unfortunately I don’t have anybody in my circle of friends and family who loves a quilt. So the ones I don’t use or give away to charity causes are in a cupboard waiting for a show and tell, some time in the future! I loved to see all my quilts exhibited last April, as I don’t have walls to hang them on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is your quilt and let the kids play - I see where quilters let animals lay on their quilts - Kids will enjoy it better than a dog or cat! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Elaine

    Your quilt is looking amazing and the colours work very well together. It is great to see you blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just think about how good it will feel when the children love it to pieces! You make it, you should do what you want with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate stuff lying around that is not allowed to be used. I just finished a quilt with a big giraffe and our granddaughter loves to play on it. And I love watching her talking to the giraffe and play on the quilt.

    ReplyDelete