17 June 2019

I am Enough QAL

I have really enjoyed working on the I am Enough Quilt this past winter; the pattern was very kindly provided free a section at a time every two weeks by Melanie of Southern Charm Quilts. The pattern is still available from her website here
https://southerncharmquilts.com/blog/2019/03/07/i-am-enough-quilt-quilt-reveal/

I started this quilt initially as I really wanted to make a quilt using low volume fabrics,


you may remember my initial very disappointing attempt at working with these fabrics, when I quickly realised that I need to add some fun bright colours for this to work.


This was the selection I eventually came up with, many were leftovers from my Down the Rabbit Hole Quilt


I really enjoyed machine piecing each section as it came out, I think my machine piecing skills really improved too!




There were some fun embroidery details too, this is my left hand with an embroidered version of my engagement ring.





I was really happy to finally master the French Braid pattern, I tried before several years ago but all the bias edges made it impossible, I went slowly this time and was careful when pressing, despite this photo it is straight!


The message and title of the quilt "I am enough" is embroidered here so we don't forget, whatever you do it is good enough :)

Then it was just a question of putting the sections together ...





I found a really fun backing fabric on sale


In an ideal world I would hand quilt every part of every quilt I make, but I don't have the time and my hands are not up to it, instead I have found a solution that works for me. On a busy quilt like this, I machine quilt in the ditch all over, and add hand quilting sections where I will see it. 


 I am using a 50% Cotton 50% Bamboo Wadding with is lovely and light for summer.  I will hand quilt with Aurifil 12wt threads and an embroidery needle, it goes faster that traditional hand quilting for me and is not so hard on my hands.

The weather has been very cold and wet lately, not at all like summer! Instead of my usual working/reading in the garden I have been hand quilting :) I will hopefully have another finish very soon.

2 comments:

  1. I love using low volume prints and wonder why I used to use just plain white or creams! I think your quilt is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the hand quilting gives you something in your lap to keep you warm!

    ReplyDelete