20 February 2019

Same Pattern, Different Fabrics...

The other project that has been sitting in time out for the last few months is Sarah Fileke's 'Simple Folk'  you may remember how much I enjoyed stitching Happy Days and Down the Rabbit Hole, both BOM patterns from Sarah.  You can see those posts by clicking below.

Happy Days
Down the Rabbit Hole

When Sarah showed the sketch of her 2018 BOM Simple Folk I immediately signed up, I loved the Folk Art feel and was really looking forward to stitching another of her designs. I didn't have a colour scheme in mind, but I was keen to start and was persuaded by a 1/2 price deal on a FQ bundle of Nordic inspired red, white and blue fabrics.


Almost as soon as I started I knew I had made a mistake! I tried adding some other fabrics to the mix and stitched the first few appliqué blocks.






These are really not my colours and while I like these blocks, I knew I didn't want a whole quilt.  I put these in the orphan box and I will use them for something, the fabrics have gone into stash (I never cut a whole project at the start as I often change my mind!)  I already have a plan for the blues - a charity quilt for a late teen/young man so they won't be wasted.

I thought about starting over a few times, especially as I started to see finished quilts popping up online, but I wanted to be sure of my choices.  This week I finally started again.  One of the things that draws me to Sarah's quilts is the chance to use fun modern fabrics and bright colours.

I had several yards of this small pink pindot fabric and some of this aqua green, so I decided to start with these.  I then pulled scraps and leftovers from stash and I think I have enough to make a start.




I have made a few 9 patches and prepped the first couple of appliqué blocks - yes I think this will work!





11 comments:

  1. I think I like your second choice better too - I don't usually cut a whole quilt out in advance either unless I'm really sure I will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know when to stop and I like your second go at this gorgeous pattern. Lovely fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when you wrestled with the Nordic prints. I'm glad you found the right solution and fabric combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really fun! Love the new colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your first blocks but I like the second colour choice even more, so bright and happy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fabric choices are spot on! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH I agree with you - I love the new blocks, but of course, they are not my colors! I tend to go more to the Autumn colors, but always strive to do something different! But you have really made them go together like bread and butter! I wish I could be better with uncontrolled colors! I like your 9 patches too! Beautiful applique.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I prefer your second choice too. Adding a few pastels makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost joined Sarah Fielke's sew along this year, but I caught myself just in time. Yours are beautiful. Thank you for linking up with the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There now, you've done it! There's no hope for me at all now, trying desperately to resist starting one of Sarah Fielke's gorgeous patterns!! Shame on you, posting these gorgeous appliqué photos to tempt me when I have a graduation quilt that I should be working on!!

    I'm just teasing. Your work is beautiful, both options, and I adore the fussy cut red eyeballs on your swans!

    ReplyDelete