28 February 2019

Grasshopper

Whilst my other two projects were in time out, I have been quietly appliquéing the other Sarah Fielke 2018 BOM 'Grasshopper'  This quilt was designed as a lesson in hand piecing and appliqué.


I really loved the folk art style bird appliqué centre,  and unlike the other quilts I knew exactly which fabrics I wanted to use. I belong to the Queen Bee Quilters, so I had to use this fabulous bee background :)


 I also wanted bright happy flowers in yellow, orange and coral with soft green


 I started to piece the outer border of sampler blocks, but after the first couple of months I felt they were too busy for what I wanted; the centre square is about 56" square already, which I felt was large enough.  I turned the blocks I had made into a charity quilt for Project Linus (it's not really that wrinkly!)


I added a little aqua blue for the birds and I am really happy with how it turned out






I plan to hand quilt it with aurifil 12wt thread, I have a nice selection of colours leftover from Happy Days and I bought this variegated beige/taupe for the background.



I have made a rough plan, the background (on the bee fabrics) will be a hexagon grid and I will probably use this stencil to make a feature of the outer plain border.  I have a striped fabric for the binding which should work well to tie it all in.




I embroidered this bag a couple of years ago from a kit and have never used it, it's just the right size to carry all my hand quilting supplies.




I just need to sort out my backing and batting and get it basted!

9 comments:

  1. That's a wonderfully cheerful bag, and I just love the applique birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aqua for the birds is just the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that 12 weight thread - I think I have some left in my boxes I need to look it might be what I want to use for Good Fortune. That applique you are working on is just beautiful love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do beautiful work! And I love the way you've colored your Grasshopper quilt! Can you share the name and maker of your bee background fabric, please. I'd love to find some like it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new fabric selection! Aurifil thread is the only thread for quilters!
    Your work is of course, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your bag. Can you tell me where you bought the kit, please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bag. Can you tell me where you bought the kit, please?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've reminded me that I must pop over to Sarah Fielke's site and vote for a winner! Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete