19 September 2018

The Chinese Coins Quilt

The blue and white wedding quilt has gone off the the longarm quilter, I am really excited to see it quilted! I decided that I will gift it to my son and daughter-in-law for Christmas


I have two sons and I thought I better get a wriggle on and make a quilt for my youngest also.  I have been promising him a new quilt since he did up his room and bought a new bed last year!  He has very different taste to his brother and I struggled to find a pattern that I thought would work.

My good friend Paula Doyle of Green Mountain Quilts has a new book out called Easy Stack, it's a fun quick way of making kaleidoscope blocks with very little fabric waste.  You stack four identical pattern repeats of your fabric and then cut your squares or rectangles, each block is different and you don't know what you will end up with 😀 Paula will be on the Quilt Show demonstrating this technique next week!

https://thequiltshow.com/watch/show-list/video/latest/show-2307-paula-doyle-lea-mccomas-easy-stack-quilts-amp-solving-color-snags

My son has decorated his room with an Asian theme and loves red, so I thought this fabric would be a great place to start.


I started by making 'bright hope' blocks - four identical rectangles surrounding a square, I then cut then into circles and machine blanket stitched them to larger black squares. I think they look like Chinese Coins, hence the name








I love how each one is cut from the same fabric but they are all different!  I will border the centre with a  large 10" border of the dragon fabric so that the full pattern is on show.  I still have to put this queen size quilt together and I'm not sure yet how I will quilt it.  My son has some ideas!!


10 comments:

  1. The blue and white quilt is lovely. It would be a most beautiful Christmas gift. The Chinese quilt is going to be fabulous. Great fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there will be somewhere for the dragons to writhe in all their glory, but my goodness, this is going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Chinese coin quilt is very clever. I love how each block is so different and so complimentary. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having trouble leaving a comment Elaine it just says opps some thing wrong !!!! very strange. Love both quilts both so different but oh boy both so fabulous. I'm a big fan of blue and white and I have a lot in my kitchen, but then your Chinese Coin is magical what fun it must be opening them and playing with them and seeing the magic happen, Im sure your son is just as excited seeing it grow. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL It went through that time. Ive been looking up hope blocks and have not seen any one else do what you have done with them Elaine may be its a new pattern and you have named it Chinese Coin? But that name is all ready used so may be Round Chinese Coin !!!!!! It's a stunning block in these colours especially. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. How very clever you are, those two quilts are stunning and so very different, the dragon one is also quite different for you also. What thread did you use for the blanket stitching, the width and length also. I am curious as to which model Bernina you have as I am about to purchase one and I would like it to do the blind stitch and blanket stitch, I love hand appliqué but I'm afraid my eyes don't. I am also curious about what type table you have your machine mounted on. I am updating my sewing area and my present table is far too high....Thanks, Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- two VERY different quilts, and each one will be magnificent! I absolutely adore your Chinese coin quilt. Perfect pairing of piecing design to fabric. I owe both of my sons new quilts and I've just been spinning my wheels on other projects, and can't seem to finish anything lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both Quilts! The one with the red and black one is a stunner. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that is going to be beautiful and very original. I've never seen that design before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The circle shapes make very interesting blocks. Clever designs.

    ReplyDelete