21 July 2018

The Wedding Quilt

The wedding was fabulous and the setting on the beach perfect!


I really wanted to make a wedding quilt, but ran out of time before we had to fly to Greece, and then we had lots of visiting family and the after party.  I also couldn't think of a suitable design as my head was full of bunting and tablecloths and flowers!





I bought these fabrics a couple of years ago on sale with no real plan in mind, my son and his wife have painted their bedroom white, and are using cobalt blue as an accent, these will be prefect for a wedding quilt.  One of my friends at quilting group was making a disappearing 9 patch for a charity quilt; I thought that would work well for these large scale florals.


First you cut squares to make 9 patches, as I had mainly 1/2 yd cuts I decided to cut 8" squares to make the best use of the fabric;  I could cut 10 from a 1/2 yd


You have to think about value and fabric placement with this pattern, as the 9 patch is cut again after sewing; You cut in 1/2 horizontally and vertically to give 4 new blocks ( mine finish at 11")



I decided to have my darkest fabric in the centre as it is cut into 4 and won't dominate so much in the final quilt. The white also ends up cut into rectangles, leaving the white/blue florals as whole squares.



You then just play around with these new blocks until you find a pattern you like, there are several variations





I like this one the best


I have a few more to make 😀

These are the measurements I am using: (writing them here so I don't forget!)

Cut 8" squares: 72 white/blue floral ; 72 white; 18 Cobalt floral

Make  18 x 9 patches; when cut in 4 will yield 72  x 11" blocks

Layout of 8 rows of 9 - approx size 88" x 99"

I have some extra wide white fabric for the backing cut 112" x 96"

I think I will send this to be long arm quilted but I am not sure, the pattern "Splash" might work well


9 comments:

  1. That looks very promising. Blue and white are such a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy with the fabric, now I just need to decide how to quilt it :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely fabric! Reminds of Delft's blue pottery. Always nice, blue and white together! Wonder which pattern you'll choose in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blue and white combination, it's so fresh. I think I will hand quilt in the white sections, still deciding on the rest :)

      Delete
  3. The first vignette of the sea, the bunting and the flowers is amazing. As for the quilt the fabrics are so lovely. I can't wait to see what you come up with fashioning all that dancing blue and white loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful setting, the wedding was perfect :) I love Blue & White, it's so fresh

      Delete
  4. The blue and white will definitely remind your son and daughter in law of their wedding in Greece. A lovely choice .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope so, it was a magical time :)

      Delete
  5. The wedding venue looks so beautiful. Glad you had a fantastic time and the blue fabrics are perfect. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete