31 January 2018

Simple Folk

I have started a new quilt (!) I am allowed as per the rules of Meredith's 6 and 6 in 2018 challenge, to start 6 new projects this year if I also work on 6 old ones...

I have made great progress on a couple of my old projects ...

Another block completed for Lucy's River Terrace, making 2 so far



and I met my end of January deadline - Down the Rabbit Hole is a quilt top!! I need some help to take photos and it deserves a post of it's own :) but the top is done!
I was going to just back this and make it a coverlet, but now I am thinking it needs to be quilted?
Can anyone recommend a good lightweight wadding/batting for a summer quilt?



Just in time as the first part of Sarah's new 2018 BOM 'Simple Folk' was released today.  I have all my fabrics washed and pressed and I have started making templates for this first appliqué block.



I want to make a Nordic inspired quilt, as I lived in Stavanger Norway for nearly 3 years and love all things Scandinavian, especially the painted Swedish Dale Horses


I did a quick colour sketch when Sarah released  the fabric requirements.


My background is an off white on white hearts fabric (9109 Essential Hearts by Makower)


The rest of the red, white & Blue fabrics are from a FQ bundle of Nordic Stitches by Wenche Wolff Hatling for Moda Fabrics that I got in the Black Friday Sales.  The appliqué blocks have triangle corners, to form a second design with the pieced blocks. I want to use this iced blue.


I have started thinking about the fabrics I want for the appliqué Tulip


I like it but it is a little dull?


 I am now thinking that I need to add a little yellow/green like the painted horses - what do you think? just a little on some of the appliqué blocks to avoid everything being too matchy matchy?


I think I like this a lot more :) I will think about it for a day or two, in the meantime I will pull out  another oldie - 'Happy Days' and carry on with my hand quilting (Can you see my halo shining 🤣)


19 comments:

  1. I always use Quilters Dream Cotton batting it comes in 3 thicknesses and the lightest one is the best for very fine thin summer quilts. Love your Lucy Blocks and your Down the Rabbit Hole is great.
    It is hard to not start new projects I just found two more to start with fabric that I already have at home, I have a pattern that will go great with one and then this morning I came up with a pattern for the second one! I have told myself that I really need to finish the bird quilt before I start one of them so I better get busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too can recommend Quilters Dream cotton batting :) Congrats on finishing Down the Rabbit Hole top and the Lucy Bostons are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Down the Rabbit Hole! Thank you for joining Meredithe and me for our 6&6 Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The horses are certainly colourful, so the extra colours could work quite well.

    And I love those swans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes - the green and yellow would be great additions, particularly since you like the horses. I *love* your ice blue plan. I want to make this quilt, too, but I haven't registered for it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your Lucy's River Terrace...especially the gorgeous fussy cuts...just beautiful...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed you finished your "Down the Rabbit Hole" in time to start the new quilt. Nice job! You colors for the new quilt are so crisp and clean - just right. I have used Thermore by Hobbs for a really lightweight quilt and I like it a lot. It's wonderful to hand quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fantastic January! I'm a Dream Cotton fan. The thinnest being Request. Congratulations on your finish of Down the Rabbit Hole.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, add the green, it's perfect! Also, Down The Rabbit Hile is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is Simple Folk going to be your new one? A bit confused, but everything I see is lovely. Congrats on your wonderful top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you think a nice snowy white background would give you the brightness you seek? The reds and blues look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Elaine so many lovely quilts to finish and so little time LOL Great finish on Down The Rabbit Hole Big Congratulations. it will be so lovely quilted. Love the horses you ahve collected would make a great quilt with those horses all over it. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must be my Quilty doppleganger! Today I will finish longarm quilting my Happy Days quilt. I finished the top of Down the Rabbit Hole this week and hope to have it basted for handquilting next week. Today I will take time to prep the first block of Simple Folk! For batting, I love wool. Quilts like butter, warm in winter, cool in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your colors in Down the Rabbit Hole are beautiful! I love your color choices for Simple Folk also. I am a wool batting fan also - I love the drape the finished quilt has, even with fairly heavy quilting. I won't use anything else after giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My goodness, what beautiful projects. I just love your Lucy's River Terrace blocks. Congratulations on your finish A busy month and your new project will be stunning in those colours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always such a pleasure to see your quilt projects -- or any projects at all! I just love Down the Rabbit Hole! Love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job finishing up Down the Rabbit Hole quilt top! The next one looks to be very exciting. Loving the colors and style/mood you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your Rabbit quilt top. The thing about backing it is that you can use it in the summer (it looks so summery), and it would be finished very quickly, instead of joining the quilting queue....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your work. Just wondering if you noticed that two of your mushroom patches are facing a different direction in the Lucy's River Terrace block with the swans? Six of the 8 mushrooms stems face inward.

    ReplyDelete