09 February 2018

Several Cups of Tea later ...

I mentioned in my last post that I have started a new quilt; this is one of Sarah Fileke's 2018 BOMs 'Simple Folk'  you can find details from Sarah HERE

I had originally decided on a Nordic inspired Red, White and Blue scheme


I love these colours and the fabrics I bought, however when it came to choosing the fabrics for the first appliqué tulip block, I really wasn't happy with my limited fabric palette, it's a bit boring!



After much head scratching and discussion, I realised that I could add to my original fabrics, Sarah helpfully pointed out that red could also mean pink - why didn't I think of that ?!?

I decided to go back to basics and pull out my colour wheel tool, I find this incredibly useful when choosing fabrics for a new quilt.  It was obvious that my main colours were red and blue


I rummaged through my several bins of scraps, and pulled more reds, pinks and blues that would play nicely, but it still wasn't right, another cup of tea and another colour were called for 😀 Using the colour wheel again, I found that yellow-green sits equally between red and blue, these three colours play nicely in a triadic colour scheme.


Yes, I like this! more tea and more scrap shopping...


I have always kept anything larger than 2" square in bins by colour, but I rarely think of my scraps when it comes to pulling fabrics for a quilt (note to self - use more scraps!) They are perfect for appliqué when sometimes you need the smallest piece.


I have a lot of Dutch chintz leftovers which I think will work wonderfully for the appliqué in this quilt. Happy finally with the fabrics for the tulip, I decided that my initial thoughts on pale blue for the corner triangles was now too insipid, so I switched to the Navy


Yes, I like this much better 😀 Swapping Navy for pale blue also meant changing the colour of the nine patches in the pieced blocks from navy/white to red/white


I am happy with how this is going, using the original fabrics for the pieced blocks and adding in lots of scraps for the appliqué will hopefully hold my interest for the rest of the year.

I am tempted to quilt as you go on this one as it is made up of simple blocks, has anyone tried this? thoughts, tips? please!


18 comments:

  1. looks lovely! love the color scheme - I'm not always so good at picking color

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are a great blend and your tulip blocks lovely. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have taken a lovely color scheme and really expanded on it. It's a great lesson to reach out to the other hues of the same color. Thanks for sharing. The change to navy really makes the block sparkle and I love the fussy cut centers of the 9-patches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And especially with the applique, sometimes the smallest spot of another colour is enough to bring the whole thing to life. Well worth a few extra cups of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tulip block ! your quilt is going to be lovely! Happy Sewing from Iowa, USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely agree with all the above. Gorgeous block. Could I please ask what that colour wheel tool is ??? Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tulips are just beautiful! I can't wait to see the final quilt

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be another stunning quilt fashioned by your clever hands. Love the block you have finished. Isn't it funny the treasure we find amongst our little pieces of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors of the tulip, it looks lovely with the added bit of green and the scraps of chintz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice on the Sarah's BOM - I purchased Down the Rabbit Hole - when will I make it.....Hum! That is a good question.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your multiple cups of tea has paid off. Adding the yellow-green adds a sparkle and a jolt of color. It's funny how a quilt will lead you off in a whole new direction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! So glad you are happy with your colors now. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your colours too. It looks like a really lovely BOM, I will be back to see your progress!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Just love how a few cups of tea fixes everything. Quilt as you go,the easiest way to do it is to stop a half an inch from the edge of the block all round. The reason for this is to allow one to join the seams a quarter of an Inchon the front. The backing block should be three quarters of an inch larger than the block, this allows for folding the one seam over and under from the one next to it. It also allows you to trip any fabric,if you need to. Have the notes somewhere in my sewing room. Will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh WOW Elaine what a great block? love all the scrap pieces of fabric you pulled this si going to be one lovely lovely quilt top. Looking forward to seeing it grow thats for sure. I have done quilt as you go when doing blocks and its so nice to do the last block and its all ready quilted bar for the joining all the blocks. There are some great uTube videos on doing it this way. Cheers Glenda PS Just allow extra on the seams to make it easier when assembling them all at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post. I was so interested in reading how you choose colours as that is a bit of a challenge for me. Your final palette is wonderful to my eyes and will make a very interesting piece. I am hoping to quilt as I go a snowball quilt I'm making presently. Wish me luck too as I've never done a quilt before or quilt as you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it. This is the first time I’ve seen this pattern. Your added choices will be perfect. I’ll look forward to your progress

    ReplyDelete