26 September 2014

What a wonderful day!

Today I was part of a fabulous group of ladies attending a masterclass with Susan Smith in a wonderful converted barn
Susan had brought along three of her wonderful quilts for us to look at, I was lucky enough to see and take lots of photos of the original 'Stonefields' quilt (which deserves it's own post!) as well as the 'Prince' quilt we were to work on today.
One of the most striking things about Susan's quilts is her fabric choices and colour sense. I spent a large part of today studying the quilts and talking to Susan. I love the way she layers fabrics and fussy cuts cute details






I knew the fabrics I had originally pulled for this quilt were going to be different, which I was fine about, but I also knew they were not as exciting as Susan's
Susan came round each of us individually to offer advice and I quickly realised that the reason I don't think these are right, is that while each fabric is lovely on it's own, together they are BORING (my word not her's!!) I had made the classic mistake of starting with a matching fabric range (Fat 1/8th bundle and then adding others in the same colours) Susan suggested picking out just the colours I really liked from the stack...
and then adding some blues but also a few more lights, I thought that as my background was pale I didn't need light fabrics, but look what a difference it makes!
I am really happy with these colours and looking forward to making 'Prince' with them, I will wait a while as I wish to work on 'Stonefields' first, after seeing the original quilt I have a whole new idea about how I want to stitch my version...

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous gorgeous quilt! The fussy cutting details really add so much! Looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing barn and quilts! Love the colors you have picked out. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lucky are you, I love Susan's work.the fabrics you have chosen look great. I look forward to seeing more pics especially of Stonefields !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carolyn here! (somehow coming up with my husbands name!) Really great to meet you today and have lots of good conversation! Those quilts we saw, one word stunning. I have come back inspired and needing like you to rethink a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooooo envious! Lucky lucky you to take a class from Susan and to get to see her quilts close up! I can't wait to see your versions of her lovely quilts. I seriously can't wait!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely day and lovely new project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very easy to lose your nerve with colour, and forget that you need lights and darks as well to bring the whole thing to life. You probably won't make the same mistake again, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great quilts and I am drooling over your fabric choices! Can't wait to see your Prince quilt develop and grow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, wonderful setting and lovely quilts. Lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the great pictures, a beautiful quilt. I have some of those fabrics in my stash too, it's always fun to see.

    ReplyDelete