28 September 2014

Stonefields - The more you look, the more you see...

I mentioned in my previous post that I was lucky enough to see, and have Susan's permission to take lots of photos of the original Stonefields quilt.

The photos don't do it justice, the quilt is stunning in real life! on first glance it has a lovely muted pink and blue feel, I recognised quite a few French General fabrics, the background is a very pale cream the colour of milk; but once you look closer you can see that the reason this quilt sparkles and glows, is that amongst the muted palette there are exciting touches of pea green, pale yellow, dark brown, grey and black, and even a tiny bit of orange.



The other thing that you notice on close inspection, is that not every circle is perfectly round and not every point perfect! Susan does not unpick and correct anything, she asked us the question "Why do you quilt?" It made me stop and consider my answer,  if you are entering shows and hoping to win first prize at Houston then things are a bit different, but I don't enter shows or competitions. I quilt because I love buying fabrics! I find the stitching relaxing, my quilts are given away, used and loved. I think one of the reasons I have been in a quilting slump lately, is that I have forgotten the basic fact, I quilt because it's fun!
Susan has used lots and lots of different fabrics, 200-300 at a guess and this is what makes her quilts so beautiful.

I came home energised and inspired, I raided my stash and pulled some fabrics that I would like to mix in with the BOM selections, I also like the idea of using a few different backgrounds.

I will also rummage in my overflowing scrap basket for tiny bits
I did zero sewing on Friday! I had a fantastic day, met some lovely people, and came back with a new enthusiasm for quilts and quilting. Thank you Susan for being such an inspiration!
I will leave you with a couple more photos of Stonefields because I can!


EDITED: Sorry! I forgot to mention, the event on Friday and the fabulous lunch! was organised by Karen and her husband of The Running Chicken' they are also running the Stonefields BOM, you can find all the details on their website HERE

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your excitement and your experience with us out here. I love your choice of fabrics for your Stonefields! And I love seeing the original close up! Looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting these photos. I just love this quilt but am having difficulty justifying the cost of the pattern. I think I am just going to have to save up for it. I love this quilt so much. I look forward to watching your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great you have some new ideas and fabrics to add to your own Stonefields. Finished my Daisy's Stonefields yesterday and it was great fun. Good luck with your quilt, Coriene

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, WOW, WOW! What a gorgeous quilt! And I love her philosophy too - lots and lots of different fabrics and the occasional mis-step that doesn't get ripped out. It was like someone had reached into my brain and said exactly how I was feeling. You are so right - it is important to remember why we quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it fun to play with fabric! You have a nice selection pulled for the BOM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just beautiful! I am going to join you in this Stonefields journey..;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really was the most gorgeous quilt we saw on Friday. The colours as you say, were much softer than I expected. No harsh or strong colours. Boy would I love to dig in Susans stash!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I so agree! I just did a post about imperfection! I agree its the fabrics, the colors, the stitching that is so wonderful. I also find joy in improvement, but it is good to remind ourselves why we quilt! Thank you for concurring, we often see others work and think how perfect and we over critique our own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a gorgeous quilt I have just finished my first block. Love it . Thanks for all the photos and descriptions.look forward to following your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous29/9/14 07:41

    What a treat to see the original, thanks for all the photos so we can share in your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing, Elaine! Stonefields is so gorgeous! My first instalment will hopefully arrive on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Reinspired and re-endergised" - no event organiser could hope for a better result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful feedback. The running chicken quilting co organised this and provided a lovely lunch too! We are running the BOM too!!! And we are using lots and lots of fabrics in our kits which makes the quilt sparkle!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. I hope to see Susan on saturday (oct. 4) when she is doing a workshop at The Log Cabin. Can't wait !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, it is just so beautiful ! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I quilt for the same reasons - I do not enter shows - I quilt for me and if it is not perfect it isn't!! I want to have fun and use up more of my fabric!! that is a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Elaine, so glad you enjoyed the class organised by the running chicken quilting co. Susan was so pleased to have been asked to come and visit our Pulrey barn group. For the record, our Stonefields BOM has many many fabrics included and hopefully replicates the sparkle of the original, with various backgrounds and lots of interesting scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous30/9/14 10:10

    Those quilts are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's the most incredible share...I could spent the entire day looking and marvelling at the spectacular workmanship of this quilt...WOW doesn't even begin to cover it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh gosh, and so much to look at too!
    I seen hexagons so stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my goodness! What fantastic quilts.

    ReplyDelete