26 March 2019

I've been Knitting!

Unlike quilting which I like to do year round, I find myself with the urge to knit as soon as the temperatures drop in the Autumn.  I don't need such good lighting for knitting as I do for sewing, so it's the perfect hobby for winter evenings.  You may remember the Guernsey Jumper I completed back in November 2017?


As soon as I had finished it, I wanted to knit something else, I decided to try something different and so signed up for a Craftsy Class in Icelandic Knitting, I wanted to learn colour work techniques and steeking (you knit in the round and then cut the knitting to make an opening for the cardigan front!)

It is knitted in special Icelandic Lopi wool which is lovely to knit with and very reasonably priced, I found a source here in the UK which was obviously cheaper than buying the Craftsy Kit.


The class was really good, but definitely not for beginners:) I learned a lot and the nice thing about Craftsy classes is that you can go at your own speed and watch the videos as often as you like. Just as well as I have only just finished!
Ravelry notes here: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/suller/top-down-icelandic-sweater


I am really happy with it, it is warm and fits really well. I found some beautiful Celtic style button in my favourite shop (Liberty) which I think really work well.




While looking through my yarn for something else to knit, I came across this cardigan in pieces. I abandoned it years ago as I did not know how to sew it up properly! I decided to take another class in finishing techniques and it is finally done! It looks an odd shape in this photo  but it does fit well :) Pattern is 'It's the Berries' by Carol Sunday.
Ravelry notes here: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/suller/its-the-berries




I still feel like knitting at the moment so I have started 'Tenaya' by Elizabeth Doherty, Ravelry link: https://www.ravelry.com/projects/suller/tenaya  It has a lovely combination of lace and cables.


I am using a yarn that I bought a couple of years ago. It is a gorgeous native British yarn from Blacker Yarns, all of their yarns are from regional and rare British sheep and spun at their mill in Cornwall. This is from Gotland sheep and is a wonderful natural mottled silver colour


In the accompanying leaflet they say that if you give them the batch number of your yarn, they can tell you where the fleece was raised - really? I had to try, apparently I am the first person who has ever asked! I had a lovely email from them telling me:
"The fibre in your batch is from the 2013 clip of Sue’s very own Gotland flock, based near St. Austell in Cornwall. It was spun on our mill near Launceston – like all our yarns."

My yarn came from these sheep!



I bought it in October 2015, so it's about time I knitted it up!

The cardigan is knitted top down in one piece so you can very cleverly try it on as you go, I don't know how long this will take, but I am enjoying the process, and the combination of the natural lanolin from the wool, and wooden needles have been wonderful for my arthritic hands this winter.



I have it all stored in my lovely knitting bag I made a few months ago





13 comments:

  1. Well done - so well achieved. You'll not be cold again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweaters are awesome. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your sweaters! I have a couple knitting classes and crochet classes and have learned a few new things on crochet to refresh my memory but for knitting I need to start over again with a very much beginner class to get it figured out

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been knitting up a storm! Beautiful sweaters! So cool to be able to see the actual sheep your wool came from. I have some Christmas stockings I need to get started soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knitting is beautiful, I do know how to knit but never tried knitting a jumper or so since i worry it will never get finished. I do knit socks occasionally

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very impressed Elaine. Your Icelandic cardigan is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Elaine

    Wow! Your Jerseys are beautiful. A friend recommended that I give knitting a try for the arthritis in my hands and what an eye opener. It relieved the stiffness, now I can continue to do stitching and applique, as long as I knit a bit every day. Thank you for sharing your knitting with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After seeing all your lovely knitting, I must get back to my own knitting! With just the button bands to do, I'm almost done, but sadly the project has been stalled for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each of these sweaters is so very beautiful! I'd say you are a master knitter! Beautiful patterns and gorgeous yarns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your Icelandic cardigan; but the idea of steeking terrifies me! Well done in wielding the scissors in your beautiful knitting! Perhaps I should try that Craftsy Class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous29/3/19 16:59

    WOW! You have some mad skills! I have knitted flat items - afghans and scarves - totally intimidated by projects of this caliber. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a true wonder with your talents. Can I come over and get lessons from you on knitting. I know, I just need to watch my CD classes and go back to Craftsy and watch those classes. Just not enough time! LOL. Beautiful knitting Emily

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your knitting is beautiful! Such even stitches. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to cut it up the front. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete