15 April 2019

I Went North...

to Scotland last week. My sister moved just over a year ago from the North East of Scotland down to the South East of Scotland just outside of Edinburgh.  My mother was down visiting for a week so I took the opportunity to fly up from London for a couple of days to see them both.  It is an area I don't know very well so we had fun exploring and being tourists :) My sister lives just 10 minutes from the beautiful countryside of the Pentland Hills.  I had wanted to see the Kelpies for some time and we had a beautiful day for it.  You can read more about these incredible sculptures here if you are interested. http://www.thehelix.co.uk



The next day we visited the world heritage site at New Lanark an 18th Century Mill Village on the River Clyde.  It was fascinating to read about and see what life would have been like for the workers living there.  You can read more about the history here http://www.newlanark.org


The Mill originally spun cotton but it has now been converted to spin wool, so of course I bought some from their shop! All the money they make from the tea rooms and gift shop go back into maintaining the Mill.

I bought some of their gorgeous 100% wool in a lovely Cherry Red shade.  I think I will knit this design from Marie Wallin https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/petal-18

I did bring my knitting with me and managed to get a few rows done, in between teaching my niece aged 12 to knit.  It was lovely to see her so enthusiastic, we bought some fun striped chunky yarn and big needles for her to practice on, she was really getting the hang of it by the time I left.  I am making good progress on Tenaya motivated by wanting to start knitting with my new wool :)


I am very disciplined when it comes to knitting and only have one project on the go at a time, unlike quilting when I have multiple projects! It seems easier to put down a quilting project and pick it back up again than with knitting I don't know why.

5 comments:

  1. Your sweaters are so beautiful! I love the red in the new wool you've purchased. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so far that is how I am keeping it too - one yarn project 6-8 quilting LOL I have to make sure I don't start the yarn like I do the fabric!! That looks like a unique place you have been to

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Kelpies are on our wish-list too. If there's a mill nearby, so much the better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Kelpies, and lovely Mill. It's nice spending timewith family, and by the time you come back, you niece will be a very good knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting. My husband and I would love to visit Scotland one day. Our ancestors all came from Scotland in the 1800's. I'm the same as you with knitting - only one project at a time. Maybe knitting fanatics have multiple projects on the go like we do with quilts. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete