12 January 2018

Quilt Planning


I have been spending time in my sewing room this week, tidying and sorting fabrics.  I am enjoying spending my time in the evenings finishing the appliqué on my 'Down the Rabbit Hole Quilt' I hope to have the final borders ready for when my machine comes back from service; I would really like to finish this quilt top by the end of January 😀

One of my goals this year is to keep reducing the number of WIPs I have, I find it overwhelming to have too many quilts on the go at the same time, by the end of this year I hope to have only one hand appliqué, one hand quilting, one machine work, one EPP,  project in progress at a time. I will see how that goes!

I don't intend to start any of these quilts just yet, but they have been floating around in my head for some time, and I wanted to at least get my ideas down.  I had the chance to visit a quilt shop yesterday;  I shopped from my stash first and then filled in a couple of the gaps.  The main reason to visit was to find a background for this quilt:

Sarah Fielke 2018 BOM 'Simple Folk"

I want to start this quilt at the end of January (If I can finish the 2017 BOM first!)

Inspired by Swedish Dale Horses


I managed to find a FQ bundle of 'Nordic Stitches' by Wenche Wolff Halting for Moda in the Black Friday Sales


The white I had on hand was too stark for the appliqué background, but it is extra wide, so will work well for the back, I found this lovely white tone on tone by Andover, I think the hearts are perfect!



I am ready to go :)


Sarah is offering 2 BOMs this year and I have signed up for both 😁 'Simple Folk' will be my machine project and the other is purely hand work, I really need to improve my hand piecing, this one doesn't start until February but I might start later, will see how my WIPs are progressing!

Sarah Fielke 2018 BOM Grasshopper


I have another FQ bundle that I picked up in the sales that I think will work 'Blushing Peonies' by Robin Picken for Moda

I found the perfect background in my stash - Andover fabrics Linen Closet Bees


I wanted some more oranges and yellow in there too, so I shopped my stash and was surprised at how many fabrics I found that might work 🤭


Jen Kingwell Golden Days

Jen has a new template of the month for this year, I don't have details of the final size etc yet as it is not issued until March, here is Jen's work in progress photo


I have signed up for the templates only option with a local shop; I need to give my version some serious planning, I doubt I will start this one in 2018 as I will probably want to hand piece it too!  I have some Jen Kingwell fabrics that I have picked up for a good price in various sales over the last couple of years, I will definitely use them somehow in my Golden Days, I'm just not sure how yet :)


Ever Increasing Circles 

This final quilt has been in my head in various guises for several years, I love circle quilts😀


I bought Trish Harper's pattern 'Irish Circles'  several years ago, and I am in the process of collecting Sue Daley's 'Round we Go' template/patterns at the moment.  I knew I wanted to make a circle quilt of some description but not an exact copy of any of these.  I spent a lot of time playing with designs and I think I have finally settled on a medallion style setting.


I have some Dutch Chintz fabrics that I bought a few years ago and have been waiting for the right project to come along, I also found some more 🤭 in my stash that might play nicely



I am drawn to complicated, hand piecing, hand appliqué, hand quilting, and I don't know if my hands will allow me to hand piece/quilt etc as much as I would like this year, some of these may have to wait their turn for a few more years or become machine projects, as I said at the beginning the main thing is to reduce the number of quilts in progress before starting any more 🤣

12 comments:

  1. I have been hand piecing and hand quilting a lot too and drawn to those quilts as well as the needle turn applique - I have gotten behind on my quilts and Round We Go is way behind - I knew i would never keep up with doing a certain amount a month. I will keep doing little by little and one day get finished. I like all of your projects and fabric you have selected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have a lot in progress - I hope your hands bear up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got wonderful fabrics lingering in your stash. It seems like it was a great place to go fabric shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the projects you have planned. Coloring in the pattern for Sarah Fielke's quilt really makes the quilt come alive. I couldn't quite picture what it might look like from the line drawing but I think you've come up with an inspired color palette and fabrics. Nice job! It's certainly hard not to start something new this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noted that Sarah's designs have become quite popular. Nothing in my stash of patterns but they do look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should be so proud if those are your only WIPs. Your fabric choices are fabulous. What you have sewn already looks amazing! I need to follow your example.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great projects - looking at Sarah's patterns! I hope you finish all of your goals. It would be nice to just have one of each technique going on at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have enough projects to keep you quilting for quite some time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat to see all the quilts you are planning! OMG! I saw the Jen Kingwell one before your post and just drooled. She is an amazing designer. And Sara Fielke -- can't wait to see you finish your Down the Rabbithole and start the new BOMs! The Circle one I've never seen before. Looks gorgeous! I love your taste in quilts. I'm rooting you on so I get to see them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all intricate and beautiful projects that you are planning! It will be enjoyable to watch them grow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh! You've convinced me! I just signed up for Simple Folk, I'd never heard of Sarah until I read your blog & can't wait to see your finished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your fabrics and the plans you have for 2018 - wishing you all the best!!!

    ReplyDelete