21 September 2017

Not so Big Stitch Quilting

I am really enjoying the hand quilting of Happy Days; I am using Aurifil 12wt thread and a crewel embroidery needle, which seem to be the perfect combination for me. I have been steadily stitching an hour or so a day and find that my stitches are quite even, and although larger than fine heirloom hand quilting, are not so big that they detract from the appliqué and piecing.

I have stitched from the middle to one corner and am slowly working towards the next...





10 comments:

  1. it is always nice to get to the quilting isn't it - especially by hand - I so hope to get my hand quilting frame set up sometime in October, just the floor left to do in the quilting room and I can start to move things back in - hubby has been having a few health problems though so it has been going slow

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going along very nicely, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great so far! Handquilting has such lovely texture - it will look and feel awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's turning out so beautiful. This is going to be a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely way to finish this quilt. Big stitching doesn't have to be huge, just bigger than normal. You're work looks marvelously perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a hand quilter. What's important isn't that the stitches be tiny but that they are even in size. Looks like you've got the even stitches. Your quilt is looking beautiful! I love to see a quilt come alive with the stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is gorgeous!!! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous!!! I must admit, I prefer hand quilting not to have huge stitches. Your stitches look perfect!

    ReplyDelete