12 September 2017

Hand Quilting Happy Days

You may remember that last year I worked on Sarah Fielke's BOM 'Happy Days' I used Liberty fabrics and loved every minute of it.


The only thing that I really didn't like about this quilt, was the bottom right Black Star block.  This was my first attempt at paper piecing and it didn't go well, the block turned out the wrong size, the points were a mess and all that Black!!! what was I thinking?


I really wanted that block done and finished with, and I convinced myself that it wasn't that bad, so I had the quilt machine basted by a long arm quilter and it has been sat waiting for the cooler weather so that I could quilt it. I bought some Aurifil 12 wt thread ready for Big stitch quilting


and watched Sarah's video several times explaining the technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DXN5Ger_jo

I started with my favourite block


so far so good, but every time I took the quilt out to work on it, my eye was drawn to that black star and I knew I needed to replace it or I would never be happy with the quilt.
So ... I carefully unpicked it ...


no going back now...  and made a new star, with pointy points! in soft colours!!


and pined it in place, and slip stitched it down...


I really like this new block :)


It changes the look of the whole quilt


Can I just say, that replacing a block after the quilt has been basted and you have started to quilt, is a really STUPID idea and I don't recommend it!!
I was careful and took my time, but I was worried I would ruin everything.  I will spend a lot of time hand quilting this one and I knew I wouldn't be happy if I didn't swap out that block.  Next time I will listen to my head and replace any block that bothers me before assembling and basting the top!


14 comments:

  1. :) hey if it makes you happier about the quilt that is what counts! I have appliqued pieces over spots that I haven't been happy with - it is what you want in the end and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new block looks great! I've done similar fixes before and always want to pull my hair out for not listening to the quilt and doing the fix before sandwiching. Your hand quilting looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You won't ignore your instincts a second time, so it was genuinely worth the frustration. Even if it doesn't seem that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Emily! The replacement looks so much nicer in the whole, and look at that improvement on its construction - gorgeous points. :) This is going to be such a sweet quilt when you finish the hand quilting. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! The replacement block is beautiful and does seem to change the look and feel if the whole quilt - amazing & well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The new block appears to belong. Love the quilting, so soft!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new block is a perfect replacement. I've done a several thing once or even twice. It bugs you from the start and you know it has to go. Eventually, you just have to do it! Glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done the same thing. If it isn't right - it never is right. I always think I can save myself some work. Then, finally I can't ignore it any longer and what would have been an easy fix in the beginning becomes a major fix at the end. But, at least I can then relax and enjoy the quilt. The new block is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love your new block. Just makes a lovely quilt even better. Thanks for the video on hand stitching. I've not tried a larger thread. Really like that look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Much better. That star really caught my eye and drew away from the beautiful other blocks. Scary, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The change in color palette for the star block made a good change for your quilt. Worth the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the new block looks much better! But wow, you are brave to have done it after the basting of the quilt! Good for you. I love it! Have fun with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic swap out! Your new star looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this quilt. The fabrics and the new star are just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete