15 June 2017

Found languishing in a box

While sorting through my various boxes of WIPs looking for a new project for embroidery class, I came across this old cross stitch. I remember working on it while living in the Far East, we left in 2004 so it's at least 13 years since I last stitched on it.


The design is 'Mermaid of the Pearls' this is the photo of the finished cross-stitch


as much as I love the colours and all the beading, I no longer have any interest in cross-stitch and knew I would not finish it. I took it to class and with the help of my embroidery teacher, I will finish it with freestyle embroidery stitches.  The original threads etc have been purloined for other projects in the meantime(!) so I have gone through my boxes of threads and come up with a slightly different colour palette


I plan to stitch the main part of the body/tail in laid work which is great for covering large areas quickly, the first step is to lay down the foundation colour, in long straight stitches



I will then lay pairs of contrasting holding stitches, and finally cross stitches to hold it all in place


I am not sure if the crosses are too dark, I will wait until I have finished the rest of the laid work before I decide. I have started filling in the right side of the tail in long and short, as I want the laidwork to overlap slightly.

It feels good to have a plan for this old WIP, I am excited to be working on it again.


10 comments:

  1. Oooh this will be so beautiful...bound to be such a gorgeous piece...hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as you'd already completed the face, you now have license to make the best use of every other technique you can think of to bring it to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea is fascinating. I look forward to watching this come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you're reinterpreting the originsl idea to fit your style of work today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing your work and unique way with the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely mermaid. And what a great idea for stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a brilliant idea! It's going to be wonderful, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mermaid is lovely, Elaine. I love the stitching you have come up with, so very different to the cross stitch. It will look beautiful when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunningly beautiful piece Elaine and what a wonderful solution you have come up with to finish it. I throughly enjoyed the wee tutorial you have shown us, I love learning new ways to do things Thanks for sharing. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete