02 April 2016

The Rowdy Flat Library Quilt

I love Susan Smith's patterns, especially 'Stonefields' so I was very excited to learn of her new BOM 'The Rowdy Flat Library Quilt' It is a while since I did any appliqué, and as I have just finished a quilt, I feel more than justified in starting a new one!

Susan's inspiration was this black and white photo of an old Welsh Quilt
from one of my favourite books
Not much is known about the original quilt, this is all the info in the book.

Of course Susan has changed it to suit her style, I think there will be five appliqué blocks and four pieced and then a border.

The pattern can be found on her website HERE

Susan is mailing the patterns without fabric each month, which makes it very economical, I have had enormous fun digging through my scrap boxes for the pieces. Blocks one and two are basted ready to stitch. I don't have enough of the focus fabric, so each of my centres will be different. I plan to embroider my initials and the year on the beekeeper block.



8 comments:

  1. that is so pretty, I have not heard of that pattern I will go take a look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such a gorgeous quilt. Love how yours is looking so far. Her quilts are always so tempting. It's a good thing I'm not that into quilting right now. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Susan's patterns and this is another stunner. Beautiful start to your version. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great start - and much more fun to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pattern and your work are just beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this quilt looks soooo tempting...yours looks stunning and Is more interesting with more than one focus fabric. I'm going to enjoy following you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from Belgium, dear Elaine :)
    I just discovered your blog through Pinterest. How inspiring ! Of course I'll follow you from now on...
    I'm waiting for my "Rowdy Flat Library Quilt" pattern ("The Queen Bee" quilt, as I name it) and am now busy selecting my fabrics. FUN FUN ! I just can't wait starting with it :)

    Enjoy your sewing !

    In stitches,
    NADINE

    ReplyDelete