08 July 2014

It was all going so well...

I was really happy with my Angel face that I showed in the last post, it turned out exactly as I had hoped except for one small problem - it's too big!! I counted the stitches on the chart and I recounted them, I measured the area on my canvas that I wanted to fill and counted again, and it is still way too big (insert swear word of your choice!!) I don't know how I miscalculated but I did, I need to get a bigger piece of canvas and then I can save it by appliquéing the face on (called a slip apparently) The only problem with that is I will end up with a design almost twice the size I wanted! I really can't face tackling such a large project right now and it will not be portable for class, so I have put it on hold. Once I finish the Thistle design and a Firescreen I want to make, I will mount it on my stretcher frame and start, but for now there is nothing else for it but to start something new!

Remember the drawing I did of our cottage with my dream garden...
I have pulled some fun DMC, silk ribbon and over dyed cotton threads...
and started yesterday in class...
The thatch is stitched in long and short stitch with Week Dye works in 'Mocha'
The real garden is starting to look good too, especially my roses - they are Old English Roses and smell incredible...









10 comments:

  1. Oh, no! That's really trippy that the face came out too large. I'm glad there's a way to "slip" it onto a new canvas so you don't lose all that work. Here's to the work-arounds that let us finish finicky projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have something else to take the place of your obstreperous project until you are ready to tackle it again, and I like the start you have made on the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love your Old English roses! Just gorgeous! I gave up on my counted cross stitch...it just made me so anxious and frustrated...I have some patterns if you are interested in them--I will give them away..Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your oops! Love the rose pics! Just gorgeous. I look forward to seeing your cottage come alive with your wonderful stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer about the angel face. Love your cottage stitch though. Love your roses -- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start on your cottage - better to leave the other project until the size suits you better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The words that keep coming to mind on your beautiful cottage are "Utterly charming!" I almost expect Beatrix Potter to come walking out of it! And your roses - Whoa! Absolutely incredible...the air must be alive with their perfume!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be beautiful! I love that you made your own drawing.
    Love The Old English Roses, they smell wonderful, one of my favorite is Graham Thomas. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your cottage project. The roses look great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful stitching already on your roof - cottage project!
    Love it! love Annette

    ReplyDelete