20 September 2013

Hand Quilting the Welsh Quilt

I love to have a hand quilting project on the go at all times, I pieced my version of a Welsh quilt held by the V & A last autumn, so that I could have something to hand quilt. I blogged about the quilt back in November, you can read about it HERE.
It has been too hot this summer for hand quilting, especially as I am using a wool batting; but now it is turning cooler I am looking forward to sitting under it as I work :) I brought it with me to a friend's house this morning when I went for coffee and managed to get a little done in between chatting and eating cake!
I have finished the centre square and started on the first cable border.
I normally choose a patterned backing fabric to hide my hand quilting stitches, but this time I bought a plain cream tone on tone as I want to replicate the look of a wholecloth quilt on the back. I am happy with the way it is progressing.


12 comments:

  1. Your hand work quilting is just lovely, Elaine...I really like those swirls...lotsa turning around doing those! have a super weekend..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is hard eating cake and quilt at the same time! I have tried it :) love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I wish I had the patience to continue with hand quilting. I've failed to finish so many quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is so soft and pretty. The hand quilting is special and really adds to the overall feel of the quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand quilting is beautiful, I really like the motifs you've used. Kind Regards Mandy Currie (mandycurrie@googlemail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt is gorgeous and your hand quilting is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you are doing, the back is as gorgeous as the front. Do you draw your own quilting designs, just spectacular. Also took a minute to browse some of your posts. Such wonderful hand work. I have a crazy quilt on my list of things I want to do before I leave this earth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Elaine !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty! Is it hard to hand quilt on the wool?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yummy, Elaine!! It is looking lovely. Just wondering if you ever sleep....???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely hand quilting, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty quilt, and your quilting is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete