17 December 2020

A finished quilt at last!

 I have finished my Gnomes quilt, I loved every minute of working on this, it was a fast make and came together quickly.

The pattern is in the current issue (No. 23) of Simply Moderne, I downloaded it as a digital version and worked off my laptop, not ideal but it was ok.  I bought a couple of meters of the Grey Essex Linen for the block backgrounds but everything else was from my stash. The fun hat fabrics are leftovers from my Coming Home quilt - I had just enough of each of the colours!

I think this is the first time I have made a quilt totally by machine, I even stitched down both sides of the binding and would do that again as it is so fast!  I'm going to note what I did here so I don't forget!

I cut 2 1/2" strips and made double fold binding, attaching it to the front with 1/4" seam as normal and mitring the corners; I then used clover wonder clips to hold it in place, it covered the seam on the back with an extra 1/8" overlap. I then machine stitched in the ditch from the front catching the back and stitching it down.

I did think about hand quilting some snowflakes but I wanted to use it this Christmas (!) so I opted instead to draw some wonky 5 pointed stars and machine stitched them and around the appliqué. I used a Madeira White Metallic thread for the quilting and it catches the light beautifully.  The backing fabric makes me smile every time I look at it :) It's Gnoming Through The Snow Tossed Gnomes by Hugo Edwins










4 comments:

  1. What a lovely finish--I love all the different hat angles--so darn cute...nice work Hugs from our snowy landscape...Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your finish - I have never sewed binding on both sides by machine - I would probably mess it up! but might give it a shot

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute quilt! It does look like it would be fun to make. I love the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute gnomes, and a lovely finish!

    ReplyDelete