27 May 2020

Growing Wild

I signed up once again for this year's Sarah Fielke BOM, it started in January but I wanted to finish Coming Home (last year's BOM) first otherwise I knew I wouldn't go back to it! I love the way Sarah presents these BOMs, they are PDF pattern only so no high postage costs or waiting! Every month comes with video instruction showing Sarah's methods and it's fun seeing all the different versions pop up online. This year is all appliqué and as soon as I saw the sketch I knew I wanted Autumn in my garden as the colour inspiration.  I find I am much better at fabric selection for these scrappy projects if I have a definite theme.


This is my inspiration


Our garden in Autumn is full of Dahlias, Chrysanthemums, Pyracantha Berries, Blackberries etc and we have many resident birds including Robins and Blackbirds. The Mahonia doesn't normally flower until the Winter but I'm claiming artistic licence!




I have roughly coloured the sketch and raided my scrap baskets for suitable fabrics, I cut a whole load of leaves and I'm sure I'll need more!


I am using Kona Cottons in Putty and Bone for the striped backgrounds as I want the appliqué to shine; It is tempting to start stitching but I want to get the centre squares planned out first to get a good balance of colours.  The pieces are just loosely glue basted in place.




7 comments:

  1. This is going to be such a charming and beautiful quilt. I love it.! And, autumn as a theme color-wise is brilliant. Who wouldn't want a quilt full of those magnificent hues. There is nothing subtle about a pyracantha bush in brilliant sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking wonderful.
    I like how you have chosen a picture to decide colour options.
    I'm starting a new quilt and have chosen a fabric to base my colour
    choices on.It will also be chopped up and used for some of the applique.
    I also like your large striped background. A lot of work but it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s looking lovely Elaine! So clever to use the Autumn as inspiration as it has so many wonderful colours. It’s a great quilt to work on! I started without any plan, just picking fabrics from my stash as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a wonderfully luxuriant depiction of harvest time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stripes with the applique on top is intriguing. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is going to be a beautiful quilt. All the appliques you have placed thus far are so pretty. How lovely this will be blooming with autumnal beauty.

    ReplyDelete