22 November 2017

Fisherman's Gansey

Just in time for the winter (it was a chilly -1C first thing this morning) I have finished knitting my Fisherman's Gansey.  I have loved knitting this pattern, very clear instructions with no mistakes, apart for the one I spotted as I was blocking (!) totally my fault I cabled left instead of right, or was that right instead of left 😱 No matter, this is intended as a warm, dog walking, gardening, fetching logs sort of sweater and I don't mind.

The pattern is the 'St Elmo's Fisherman Guernsey Pullover' by Marci Richardson for The Elegant Ewe, you can find it on Ravelry here:
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/st-elmos-fisherman-guernsey-pullover

I used almost exactly 6 skeins (1290 yds) of Berroco Ultra Alpaca a gorgeous blend of 50% wool and 50% Alpaca in colour 3201 'Winter White'

Can I just say for the record, how important it is to block garments made of natural fibres?
yes it smells a bit of...



But it makes a huge difference to the look of the finished article!


I let my sweater soak for about 15mins in the sink, in hand hot water, then gently spin it in the machine until damp; I give it a good shake and then carefully spread it out on a towel; using the schematic on the last page of the pattern I flatten and push and pull until the sweater is exactly the correct size; I then leave it alone for at least 24 hours until it is dry.  Blocking really helps to even out your stitches and you can manipulate the size a little too if your gauge was a bit off.






10 comments:

  1. It looks lovely - and it will be warm and cosy for dogwalking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I love ganseys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks lovely and looks like it will be warm and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I am learning how to knit, only with non wool wool? It that makes sense. I cannot touch the real stuff, but even the acrylic stuff needs blocking. Bamboo is my favourite at the moment. Your Jersey is beautiful. Love all the different stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful accomplishment! It beautiful to look at a must be great to cuddle into.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous, Elaine! Great knitting. Enjoy wearing it - out in public too, not just for fetching logs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really attractive sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look nice and cosy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sweater and love the yarn you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your beautiful dog ..it reminded me of a golden retriever that I had quite a few years ago now . When I brushed him , I saved all the brushed out fur and spun it with some longer fibre sheeps wool and used it for an embroidery that I still treasure now long after my old faithful boy has gone . Aren't they the most wonderful dogs ? ! :) Aah..memories ..I absolutely love your beautiful St Elmo's Fisherman Guernsey Pullover !!!

    ReplyDelete