26 June 2015

Little Nuthatch

On Wednesday I was once again at the glorious setting of Hampton Court Palace
The gardens were looking stunning, especially the roses, but I was not there to admire the view (although I did wonder about a bit)
I was at the Royal School of Needlework for a silk shading/needle painting masterclass with Trish Burr

I had a fabulous day, Trish is incredibly talented and generous, she was very relaxed and a wonderful teacher. The kit was very good, beautiful printed linen and full skeins of DMC along with a full colour 25 page instruction booklet

We managed to get lots done in class

The detail in Trish's designs are amazing, the eye is about 1/8" but we used 6 colours for the detail


Once I had stitched the eye and beak, he had real personality

I found it difficult to make the feathers, as I am usually trying to make all the stitches even and the same size, you need to do the complete opposite for this technique! we were joking that my bird had obviously spent hours preening!
Next up was the flowers

Again incredible attention to detail, these tiny buds are 1/4" but again I have 6 colours in them!


One thing I love about this technique is that you can go back and add stitches, I felt my orange was too harsh and in a block so I added a few more of the paler yellow to break it up.

The centre is filled with colonial knots

I had a wonderful day and am really pleased with my little Nuthatch, it is difficult to see how small it is, the detail is incredible, but he's only 3"


17 comments:

  1. Your embroidery skill is wonderful and the bird and colors so lovely! My comments don't usually carry through so just in case, here's my email and blog address: sunshineintheattic@yahoo.com and sunshineintheattic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be pleased, it's beautiful! What a treat to take a class with Trish Burr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be pleased, it's beautiful! What a treat to take a class with Trish Burr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a fascinating treat - and a new style to have learned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely gorgeous project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful stitching study, Elaine! Your nuthatch is just marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still cannot believe how wonderful it must be to have classes at Hampton Court - the history surrounding you must be so inspiring! Lovely work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning. What an experience too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so lucky to live close enough to take classes at the RSN. I'd so love to do that. I wanted to visit Hampton Court Palace while we were in London, but we decided to stick to London proper. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO beautiful !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stitching is gorgeous! I love your picture. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow that is gorgeous...........so life like..............

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful work. Your nuthatch is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really coming along on this craft and doing an amazing job Oh My Gosh I love your work.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow -- your little bird is just beautiful! What a wonderful opportunity. Is is hard to get into their classes?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have bought Trish Burr's books over the years. Just have not worked up the nerve to take the plunge and make a start. Your nuthatch is beautiful.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have loved to spend the day in your shoes. I adore embroidery and it all looks so sweet and beautifully stitched. Love it!

    ReplyDelete