02 March 2015

Tempus Fugit Steampunk Style!

In embroidery class today, I focused on finishing the centre of my Goldwork piece, the Tempus Fugit pocket watch design. I love this image! I bought the hand embroidery design for US$1 from Urban Threads, they have lots more fantastic designs; I will definitely purchase more as I love exploring stitches, threads etc but I am not so good when it comes to design.
The design came under the heading of 'Steampunk' as I had no idea what this was (!) I had to look it up:

"With a backdrop of either Victorian England or America's Wild West at hand, modern technologies are re-imagined and realized as elaborate works of art, fashion, and mechanics. If Jules Verne or H.G. Wells were writing their science fiction today, it would be considered “steampunk."

I bought a pile of watch parts from Ebay and had lots of fun playing around

  1. I used these sparingly on this piece, but I already have lots of ideas brewing for other Steampunk Embroideries!
    I stitched the watch chain in chain stitch using check metal thread and finished the fob ends with chipping and cut work in a mixture of check and smooth purl
    I know what I need to do to finish the rest of the piece, I just need to find the time to work on it!



7 comments:

  1. Steampunk is a good style for metal thread embroidery, it seems - what great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cool! Love how this is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/3/15 13:48

    Very cool - I love steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chain looks great! it sparkles :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, love this! I get my 'embroidery fix' visiting you Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Elaine some times i think I just come to your blog just to look at your lovely house,
    I all ways relax for some reason when I see it. You art piece of steampunk is exciting and what fun you are having, like Esther I get my embroidery fix when I visit you. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs Glenda

    ReplyDelete