17 December 2014

Finally a Sew Together Bag!

I have to admit I had lots of problems with my first attempt at making the Sew Together Bag; the instructions were not very clear and I managed to pull the zipper pull off the end when I was trimming the zip to the correct size! It was impossible to get it to go back on again! I had to wait until I could go back into town to buy a new zip. The design is by Sew Demented and is very clever, you can find the pattern HERE. I really wanted to make one so I persevered.
The step by step photo instructions posted for a SAL on the Quilt Barn blog are brilliant! Thanks to everyone who pointed me in their direction.  You can find them HERE if you want to make a bag too. I decided that the original quilted piece I had would be too bulky, so I will save it for another project.
I decided instead to make mine from these two sale fabrics that I picked up last week.

I am happy with my finished bag, but it did take me all afternoon to make it!
I especially like the three individual zipped sections inside
I plan to use mine to carry all my embroidery tools etc to class. I am not sure if I will ever make another, but apparently the second one goes together much faster, so who knows!

9 comments:

  1. Hooray that you did it! Yikes on the zipper though. It does sound like this one is difficult without the tutorial, and maybe even with it. Love your bag -- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks great! Love your final fabric choice. Worth tearing a bit of hair out for I think. :o) Thanks for the tip off. I've had the pattern for a while... just waiting in the queue. Your link will save me from yet another bald patch Bet you do make another.... one day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, Elaine. One afternoon doesn't seem too bad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice makes perfect and all that - but I'm not sure I would be able to bring myself to make a second one, either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bag looks fabulous! Sometimes these things take much much longer than expected, but it definitely looks worth it in your case

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well done very clever, I've always wanted to make one but it looks so tricky so I will enjoy just looking at yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicely done! Have a super Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pretty, too - I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bag is awesome, but I am drooling over the background picture of your house. Someday I'm finally going to travel to England and see houses like yours in person. I hope you realize millions of Americans think you live in Paradise to have a house like this. We love our houses, too, but yours looks like a modern version of English novels.

    ReplyDelete