24 October 2014

Libby's Grand Illusion

Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville has announced the fabric requirements for this year's mystery quilt 'Grand Illusion' you can find all the details on her blog HERE Bonnie very generously runs a free mystery each year, with the first clue released on the Friday after American Thanksgiving and then weekly until New Year. I have made several over the years, they are great fun to make and always feature lots of small pieces and lots of different fabrics :)

This year I am making the quilt for my son's girlfriend, I always try to make these mystery quilts entirely from my stash, which is a challenge sometimes in itself! Libby and I spent a lovely hour sorting through my fabrics and choosing colours she liked and that I had enough of! This is what we came up with...
Our one 'constant' fabric is a lovely Jane Austen print from Makower, it is several years old; I am looking forward to finally using it!
I have made a colour key as we have deviated from Bonnie's chosen colours and I know that I will never remember which is which otherwise!

In addition to the lovely aqua fabric above we are using pinks, yellow, blue, chocolate brown and ivory/cream. The lovely thing about these scrappy quilts is that you can use the smallest pieces and if you run out, you just substitute a similar fabric. Everything is washed and pressed and waiting in the basket for the first clue.
I know I won't keep up with the pace of the mystery as Stonefields is my focus project for this winter, but I will plod along piecing when I have time, luckily Libby is happy to wait :)

5 comments:

  1. You have such lovely quilt projects in the works! What a treat it is to follow your progress on all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will be nice to watch and see what your quilt will look like - I hate mysteries and don't do them, I like to see how others turn out though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to look forward to watching your progress, love your work !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to make a chart of the colours. I was wondering about swapping around some of Bonnie's, but I was afraid of getting myself confused.

    It might just be my monitor, but to me your pink replacement and your black are really hard to tell apart. That could be an issue if those two get sewn together to make a contrast like the pink geraniums on black background in Bonnie's Grand Illusion logo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete