16 October 2014

1718 Silk Coverlet - Mosaic Patchwork

I have long admired the 1718 silk coverlet (it is not a quilt as it has no wadding/batting) held by the Quilters Guild in the Quilt Museum in York, it is one of the earliest known examples of patchwork. You can read the history of it on the website HERE.
Susan Briscoe has written a book about it which has just been published, so of course I had to buy a copy :)
It is full of detailed photos of the original coverlet
A photo of the replica made in silk, by members of the Quilters Guild here in the UK a few years ago
It also has close up photos and patterns to recreate each block
I have been looking for an excuse to try some of the fabulous Oakshott shot cotton fabrics, and this seemed the perfect project - they have an incredible range of colours and look like silk but are in fact 100% cotton, they also come in 54" wide pieces which makes them very good value.
It is my birthday next month so I decided to treat myself to any early present!
They were washed as recommended and have been sat looking at me all week, along with a couple of pieces of Kaffe Fassett shot cotton (I have to say the Oakshott feels a much better quality)
The original coverlet was made in a technique know as 'Mosaic Patchwork' which I had heard of, but had no idea what it was, until I read Susan's explanation that it is also known as English Paper Piecing. Cue sound of penny dropping! I know how to do that, I've made loads of hexagons! I have decided to try and recreate this coverlet using the original method and hopefully improve my EPP along the way. I have never tried EPP curves before, but how hard can it be?!! I decided to start with a couple of the easier blocks.
I want to keep up with Stonefields BOM and so this will just be a filler project.

10 comments:

  1. We really do love the same desigsn :o) This book arrived at my door not so long ago.

    Enjoy the journey. Can't wait to see what you will come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an extraordinary design. Looks like lots of fun! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book arrived too! I love the colours of those cottons. It looks as if you are going to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the book and love Oakshott! Am looking forward to watching this quilt develop too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely project Elaine! Looking forward to see your Stonefields and this one grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting that you are starting this one! I also have just got the book and thinking seriously about it. I have some Fassett shot cottons but the Oakshotts do look wonderful ... might be very pricey to get to Australia I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought that book a few weeks back, it is wonderful with beautiful pictures. But I will not start on this quilt for now, too much to do ;-)
    Like the fabrics you bought for it and you blocks looks wonderful.
    I also have my birthday next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to be beautiful, I didn't know mosaic patchwork was EPP either, you live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, there you are - you've told us all something new!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that is certainly a major undertaking. Good luck and many happy hours piecing.

    ReplyDelete