Last week on Facebook I noticed that Brigitte Giblin had posted a challenge to hand piece a TATW top based on a depression era quilt from Oklahoma. Definitely had to join in this one!
This is a picture of the original inspiration quilt, and my fabrics for the first 9 rounds, we have to complete this part by the end of June, when I think Brigitte will show the next part of the quilt. The challenge was to use a red spot fabric for the centre and in two more rounds. I didn't have a spot fabric as in the original, so substituted the red/cream swirl. I love the quote from that time "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"
I had barely enough of this black/blue for the first round. The squares are 1 1/2" finished size and I had a 5" square so just made it!
I would really like to make this whole quilt from stash, so expect some odd colour choices! I am going on the principle that each round only has to look good next to the previous and following rounds, we will see how this works out! I use very little black or blue in my quilts, so I am not really in my comfort zone, but this year I am determined to challenge myself!
I have sewn the first five rounds