Now that my summer visitors have all gone home, I have time to work on part two of 'Love Entwined'. Once I had my basting stitches on the background fabric in place, I appliquéd the compass onto the centre. Choosing the fabric for the triangles took quite some time and I discounted a few before I settled on this one. I would like to incorporate quite a bit of fussy cutting and Broderie Perse in this quilt, so I made a plastic template of the triangle shape and drew on some registration marks, to make sure I cut each triangle from the same part of the fabric pattern.
I pin the overlay to my fabric, matching the drawn lines with my basting stitches. It is easy to un-pin a small section at a time and slide the appliqué piece in place using a long satay stick.