07 February 2014

Goldwork Bird

Remember this box of beautiful silk and gold threads?
They were intended for a new Goldwork Bird design; a learning piece for this term's embroidery class.
The class has been running for three weeks now and I finally have some progress to show! There is a lot of quite boring preparation for Goldwork before you can get to the fun bits!
The bird has a felt padded, appliquéd red suede body...
The branches of the tree have been embroidered with raised stem band, a new stitch for me but one which I will definitely use again, as it is very easy to stitch and gives a nice padded effect.

I have started some of the Goldwork, the pomegranate has been padded with felt and I have started couching down the gold passing thread.
The centre is laid work in silk with a gold silk trellis, I added a small gold bead to the centre of each diamond shape.


11 comments:

  1. it all looks so pretty - you must be enjoying the classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very beautiful Elaine - how I would love to be able to join your class. To be able to create such exquisite needlework is a priceless gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's going to be beautiful, I look forward to watching this grow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is amazing. Thanks for sharing this interesting project. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning! Thanks for sharing the process and the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that is just so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating how you build it up - and so beautiful! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Elaine - just beautiful... Can't wait to see it progress...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another gorgeous piece of needlework in progress. Your photos are great for showing all the important details. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW--the piece is already stunning

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Elaine how wonderful to see your gold work embroidery and to be able to follow you again on a wonderful needle adventure. Your start is beautiful all ready I'm sure looking forward to each weeks instalments, I learn so much from you, thanks so much for sharing. I saw on the news last night the terrible floods and thought about your road and I sure hope all is OK. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete