06 June 2013

Creative Embroidery

I had so much fun in the embroidery class on Monday run by Sophie Long, you can see her beautiful work on her website HERE She did throw me by saying we had to design our own piece! After a lot of head scratching, consultation with her and my fellow stitchers, and a fair bit of rubbing out! I came up with a design for a heart with a few silk ribbon flowers, based on these in the latest 'Inspirations magazine.
I will also incorporate some free style embroidery stitches in different threads and a little gold work - all of which Sophie has promised to teach me by the end of the six week course :) I started by couching down a beautiful chenille thread around part of the heart outline.
I bought the linen and threads above from Sophie to start off, she then suggested I check what I had in my stash and bring everything I think could work next week; after asserting that as I am quite new to embroidery, I thought I might have a little DMC but not much else, I am embarrassed to admit that my stash hunt produced the following...
The wool is left over from a needlepoint project, perle cottons are left overs from Hand quilting projects and the beads/DMC left overs from my cross stitching. A card making friend was downsizing her stash and I bought a job lot of threads from her, lovely rayons and metallics. The great thing about free style embroidery is that you can use it all - in the same project!!!
I think I have enough to be going on with! Roll on Monday :)

6 comments:

  1. Your class sounds great, I look forward to seeing your weekly progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this one. I made a similar heart with embroidered flowers a while a go. I'd send you a pic but I think I gave it to someone as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is going to be fun to follow! Looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, that looks like so much fun to try!

    Can't wait to see what happens next.

    Love your pile of stash ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers. Love the idea of freestyle embroidery, look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to watching your progress. I so wish I lived close enough to attend a class at the RSN.

    ReplyDelete