25 November 2012

Grandmother's Choice BOW

Barbara Brackman is hosting a quilt block of the week on the theme of women's suffrage.  The blocks along with some interesting history, can be found on the Grandmother's Choice blog HERE. This week's block is 'Everybody's Favourite:Universal Suffrage'.


I have chosen to make my blocks in the colours adopted by the British Women's Social and Political Union (WSPU) which were Purple, White & Green, representing Dignity, Purity & Hope.


The WSPU was the leading militant organisation campaigning for women's suffrage in the UK. It was founded by Emmeline & Christabel Pankhurst and was the first whose members were known as suffragettes.



I have been reading the biographies of the Pankhursts along with some of the history surrounding the women's campaign for equal rights in the UK.


I have 11 blocks completed so far, I don't know how many I will make, probably just enough for a lap quilt, I am also still undecided on the final layout. I will wait until I have a few more made and then decide.




1 comment:

  1. More lovely colours, how many quilts are WIPs.

    I have four waiting to be started and one WIP. When Ray retired I stopped quilting, it was my afternoon hobby.

    ReplyDelete